02 April 2013

Blaming God

Greetings Dear Reader,

Too often when I encounter people who have walked away from faith they relate a story of a Christian or a church that has wronged them in some way.  Others speak of the irrelevance of the church to their generation.   Whilst I would agree that wrongs done by others and lack of true mission in some churches are valid complaints I would say that these issues have answers that can be addressed.

I have been harmed by others who claim to follow Christ.  My obligation is to forgive them and not to blame God.  I have seen churches that do not live out the mission Christ gave us.  They too have harmed me.  It is my obligation to work within the church to help correct the course of the journey.

If I blame God, disavow him, or sacrifice my belief in him I am also doing wrong.  If I choose to indulge my anger and pain over forgiveness and grace then I should not be surprised if I begin to doubt.  Failure to walk in grace yields doubt.  The inner pressure of anger and bitterness fuels disbelief. 

I must assure that no matter how dissatisfied I am with those around me and the way they treat the gospel that I do not blame God for their wrongs.  In choosing to give us free will God allows for followers that do not live up to his desire for us.  If he tolerates this then so must I.  I cannot allow their failures to cause me to forget my own.  I cannot allow a lack of grace in the church to overshadow the depth of grace I need.

I cannot demand that others be perfect until I am.  I cannot blame God for allowing them to fail until I cease failing him.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment