10 April 2013

My Social Responsibility – Healthcare

Greetings Dear Reader,

Years ago when I used to do a great deal of table top gaming with my friends I created a team of holy knights called Paladins.  The aim was to create a small army of beings whose only purpose was to use the great power available from God for right and good.  One of them, Caramund was a Medician.  His passion was the healing of others.  His existence to my young mind was to put forth my belief that the power of Christ to heal others is encased in the choices of those who follow him.

No matter if is Peter telling a beggar to stand up and walk or he and the others disciples are healing the sick they got the idea that people’s health is connected to their willingness to hear the Gospel.  How many times does Jesus spend his energy healing the sick?  How often do the Gospel writers point out that he was concerned about the well-being of others?

Whether one believes God still uses instant healing or not one cannot deny that Christ was very concerned about the physical health of people.  I think it shames the Church that we are not more involved in every congregation in the health and well-being of those around us.  The politics do not matter.  The care of the sick and infirmed is not something we get to relegate to the government. 

Jesus cared for the sick.  He made it clear that caring for the sick was one of the ways in which he recognized his followers.  “Whatever you do to the least of my brothers you do to me.”  This statement makes our responsibility so clear.  If I hope to think that I am following Christ then I must care about the things he cares about.

No matter where you fall in the political debate it is the responsibility of Christ followers to work toward the provision of needed health care for everyone.  If I we are not willing to have the faith the heal them then perhaps would should work all the more to provide necessary medical services no matter the ability to pay.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment