26 April 2013

My Social Responsibility – No Crimes

Greetings Dear Reader,

I realize that it must seem obvious that those who follow Christ must not be guilty of being criminals in the sense of murder, theft, or violence.  If we look at what goes on in Ephesus whilst Paul is there we see something altogether different. 

The merchants in Ephesus who sold statues of the goddess Artemis were fearful of their income being hurt by the growing faith in Christ.   Of secondary concern was that the temple would no longer be respected.  They tried to raise a rabble against the men who were teaching about Jesus.

The men were known in the city and city officials made it clear that the men were not criminals.  On this alone these Christ followers were set free.  It was their good reputation as lawful men that protected them.  Of note is the statement that they had “said noting against Artemis.”

When I think of how often Christians rail against other faiths it saddens me.  I am sure that my energy is to be directed toward showing and speaking the love of Christ.  God can defend himself.  When others have a faith that is not mine it is not my place to demean or insult them or their beliefs.

If I show love and generosity my words will carry weight when I speak of the love and generosity of Christ.  If I argue and insult then I blemish the validity of my words when I speak of Christ’s love.  Christians are too guilty of attacking others for what they believe instead of loving them where they are and living out the Gospel.

We must live within the law and be men and women of good repute.  Then we earn the right to be heard.  There is no force greater than love for Christ.  It is enough if I let it be enough.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment