18 April 2013

My Social Responsibility – No Internal Division

Greetings Dear Reader,

Throughout the centuries the church has faced issues that divide.  It is no different today.  We face issues that are tearing us apart and weakening our ability to represent Christ to the world.  If we look at how the Apostles handled their first real social dilemma perhaps we can gain some insight.

The Apostles were faced with how to move past an ancient law.  The law was that they had special instructions for dealing with those outside of their race.  When gentiles began to flock to the faith a dilemma arose.  At first Peter was opposed to the change but it was made clear to him that he was to accept everyone.

What he did next was vital to the ensuing changes and growth of the church.  The Apostles discussed the issues openly.  They made an accepting and inclusive decision.  Then they did what was most important.  They acted.  They sent a trusted emissary.  They sent a man whose name meant encouragement.  Barnabas had a mission.  It was to welcome everyone into the church.

The early Apostles made it very clear that everyone was welcome.  I wonder if we can get to that place again as a body of believers.  What I do know is that as long as we have internal division we cannot.  As long as we are not willing to be inclusive within how can we be inclusive externally?

For me that means that I cannot exclude anyone who follows Christ based on cultural or social differences.  As much as I think some things are wrong that does not mean that I create division based on those things.  It means that I obey the commands to see reconciliation and peace with all men.

If I sit and think of the worst person I know who is also a Christ follower I must think of that person in loving and accepting terms.  If I know someone has something against me then I am to reach out to them seeking forgiveness and reconciliation.  Everything about following Christ is locked in this pattern.  Redemption, reconciliation, and restoration are keys to being a Christ follower.  All of my great errors are locked into failures in this area. 

Until I see everyone as someone to whom I owe my love and acceptance I have work to do.  Christ did not come just for me.  He came for everyone.  It is shameful for me to allow division based on tradition or preferences.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment