09 April 2013

Second Thoughts - Baptism

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

Last night I had the great joy of attending the baptism of my dear friend Laura.  Since I am digging deep into the book of acts I found it very apropos that this coincided with my inner journey.  I love Laura dearly and I was overcome to hear how her journey with Christ unfolded.  She gets it right in not being attached to things over the journey. 

What danced around in my mind so much was the idea of Baptism for Christ followers.  In the final words of the Gospel of Matthew Jesus says some very specific things about what we are supposed to do as his followers.  I do not hesitate to say that we are to be symbolically immersed in water to proclaim to all our choice to follow Christ for life.  This is a public proclamation that we are on a journey and it belongs to God.

I would, however, like to posit that Christ is very capable of using double meanings in what he says.  Let us examine what he says in the last few verses of Matthew very closely. 

Mat 28:18-20 When Jesus came near, he spoke to them. He said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. So wherever you go, make disciples of all nations: Baptize them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.  Teach them to do everything I have commanded you. "And remember that I am always with you until the end of time." (GW)

The Greek word here for “Baptize” is Βαπτίζω – or baptizō
1.    To dip repeatedly, to immerse, to submerge (of vessels sunk)
2.    To cleanse by dipping or submerging, to wash, to make clean with water, to wash one’s self, bathe
3.    To overwhelm
(Thayer)

I would posit that Christ is using his authority to say that the outward sign of baptism is to be an inward sign that one is being totally immersed in following Christ and his teachings.  I have been pondering this for two days now.  What is the physical baptism if not the outward expression of the choice to be totally immersed in following the teachings of Christ and in teaching those things to others?  Another rendering of this passage may make my point clearer.

“The freedom to do as I please in both the earth and above the earth has been granted me.  Because of this you must pursue the journey to disciple the entire human family to follow Christ and immerse them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.  Discourse with others so that you are teaching them to attend carefully to all things I have enjoined you to do.” (ATT)

My friend Laura has abandoned the false security of career and home to follow Christ in this command.  Seeing her baptized last night filled me with joy for her potential in this.  It also made me more determined to reach that same potential.  I am to be immersed in the mission. I am to become one with the vast ocean that is Christ and follow him fully.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I really love this one. I'm honored I made your blog in such a special way. I'm so glad you were there to celebrate with me and humbled by your words here.

    ReplyDelete