20 April 2013

Second Thoughts - A Feast of Thrones


Greetings Dear Reader,

For those of you who do not read the George R. R. Martin books or seen the series Game of Thrones only the meat of this article may be of interest.  My children enjoy the series greatly and each Sunday evening have a throng at my eldest Son’s home to enjoy the week’s episode.  The end of March marked the beginning of the new season. 

My eldest Son received the cookbook A Feast of Ice and Fire for Christmas.  It does an excellent job of bringing to life the foods in Martin’s books.  We decided to prepare a feast based on the cookbook for the season premiere.   My Son mixed his own batch of Strong Powder and tested it on some foods as a run up to the date.  He ordered wild boar from a specialty shop for the actual feast. 

I was tasked with creating the apple tarts according to the books centuries old standards.  My Son rationed me some of his precious strong powder and I acquired fresh apples and fresh yeast for the baking.   Whilst on my journey to prepare for this I came across a new business and product that I thought would fit nicely with our venture.

I discovered BOS Meadery.   They are a local Meadery.  They use local and regional ingredients, great skill, and amazing insight to craft the best meads I have tasted.  I chose their Wildflower Mead to go with our feast.  I tried it at home first and was amazed at the robust taste and superior quality.  I procured another bottle to take to my Son’s.

We enjoy a fine feast.  The boar was lean and moist.  It was hearty and satisfying.  The greens were fresh and lively.  The apple tarts turned out nicely and the apple filling would lend itself to many other uses.  The BOS Mead was a perfect complement to the evening.  It was dry enough to pair with the main course and sweet enough to enjoy with the desert.

Mostly it was a joy to try new food around a new theme with people I love.  Thank you Son for the richness you brought to all of us.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment