03 April 2013

The Missing Piece

Greetings Dear Reader,

I am a longtime lover of the work of the late Shell Silverstein.  If one can read The Giving Tree without shedding a tear one needs his emotional well refilled.  Another of his books, The Missing Piece is a fable about trying to find that which fulfills us.

Whilst I love the story and the writing I must disagree with the conclusion that one can find the missing piece
and be fulfilled.  I am learning that the only time I am complete is when I allow the space that only Christ can fill to be filled by him.

It is when I try to replace the “God shaped vacuum” in my heart with anything else that I feel the most alone and incomplete.  All of the temporary satisfactions that I attempt leave me unfulfilled.  However, when I allow Christ to guide me in my steps and be my fulfillment I feel joy.  I feel whole and capable. 

I have been rereading a book given me by a dear friend as a graduation gift.  Even though the words were penned in 1633 they are eternally true.  When brokenheartedness assails me or I feel the shadows of loneliness and discontent vying for my energy I must refocus on that which fulfills me.

In Christ alone there is completeness.  In following is the only way that I do not put my wants/needs ahead of others and being loving to them.  There is no thing I have found that bring this level of peace.  I just wish I could always remember that in the moment.  In finding the missing piece is Christ is where I find my peace.

Jesu – The Temple – George Herbert

Jesu is in my heart, his sacred name
Is deeply carved there: but th’other week
A great affliction broke the little frame,
Ev’n all to pieces: which I went to seek:
And first I found the corner, where was J,
After, where ES, and next where U was graved,
When I had got these parcels, instantly
I sat me down to spell them, and perceived
That to my broken heart he was I ease you,
                                And to the whole is J E S U.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3/4/13 07:50

    I THINK, FOR MANY PEOPLE, CHRIST IS THE
    MISSING PIECE IN THEIR LIVES.

    ReplyDelete