16 May 2013

A Christian Nation – The Measure


Greetings Dear Reader,

Something I wish to be clear about before I begin this segment is my theology.  Theologically I am very conservative.  This does not mean that I side with the “religious right” or that I am a Republican.  It means that I believe in God and the Bible.  It means that I also believe that claiming to be Christian does not make you a follower of Jesus Christ.  It is just not that easy.  If you have questions for me about this feel free to ask.

So I ask myself what the measure of a “Christian Nation” would be in light of my beliefs.  I think first I need to see what the Bible has to say about a nation that is set apart to God.  Israel was commanded to be set apart as God’s people.  They were to be separate but treat everyone with love and respect.  They were to be an example of the right way to treat each other and strangers.

If we are to consider a nation to be following Christ then what must be true of that nation?  If we ask James, the brother of Jesus he makes it clear what true religion is.  “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.”  Jesus made it clear that whatever we do to the least in society we do to him.  He also made it clear that we are to care for the poor and that they will be with us always.

This nation has never truly protected the poor, the homeless, and the oppressed.  Most of the organizations that address these needs well are not affiliated with the church.  So I will turn my attention to the church.  Those who claim we are a Christian nation do a very poor job of addressing these issues.  I realize that this is a generalization and that there are exceptions.  The thing is that there is more neglect than care.  The church in most cases has relegated the care of others to the state.  I will talk more about that later.

I challenge the church to make true care for the poor their banner instead of political stances and rhetoric.  What does that mean for me?  I am to address the needs of others whenever I encounter them.  It is not allowable for individuals to say the follow Christ and neglect the needs of others.  I am not to make meeting those needs a tool to coerce others to faith.  The acceptance of Christ must come from the natural action of his love for individuals as expressed through my actions.  I must show that love to others with no expectations attached. 

The measure of a nation that would claim to be Christian is the same as a the measure of a man who claims the same.  “By this will all men know that you are my followers – If you have love for each other.”

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment