30 May 2013

A Walk with Aqualung – Hymn 43

Greetings Dear Reader,

Cathedral of Christ the King, Atlanta
When I was young and they packed me off to parochial school I was told over and over about how the church was always right.  When life crushed my innocence and optimism I sought out people in the church to help me through the things with which I dealt.  This song showed me a glimmer of what I would eventually come to see as the difference between any church and following Jesus Christ.

This song is so simple but says so much about the contradictions between what Jesus does to save us and what the church has turned it into.  I see the repeated “Oh Jesus save me!” as a genuine plea.  The world needs deliverance form the impure application of the message of Jesus. 

It took me many years to see that I should not judge Jesus by the actions of his followers but by who he is.  I also see, as one would follow Christ that I must take care that my actions reflect who he is and not what some organization claims about him.

I live in a town where I have often seen the bumper sticker “Dear God please save me…from your followers.”  It is horrifying that this has often been too true in the world.  On the fringe and in the mainstream there have always been those ignore what Jesus taught and use him for their own purposes.

In this song I references to the commercial church, hypocrisy in the church, and the failure of the American church.  The second verse seems a clear reference to manifest destiny and it absolute rejection of the truth of the Gospel.  It also seems that the last verse is an image of how the true image of Christ is weakened by the failures of the church and its people to live out the words of Christ.

I also took the time to look up Hymn 43 in the hymnal for the Church of England.  They do not have an “official” hymnal but they do use one.  Hymn 43 is an evening hymn and quite beautiful although I could not find a rendition suitable for you Dear Reader:

Savior, breathe an evening blessing - James Edmeston and Edward Henry Bickersteth
1870

Savior, breathe an evening blessing
Ere repose our spirits seal;
Sin and want we come confessing:
Thou canst save, and thou canst heal.

Though the night be dark and dreary,
Darkness cannot hide from thee;
Thou art he who, never weary,
Watches where thy people be.

Though destruction walk around us,
Though the arrow past us fly,
Angel guards from thee surround us;
We are safe if thou art nigh.

Father, to thy holy keeping
Humbly we ourselves resign;
Savior, who hast slept our sleeping,
Make our slumbers pure as thine

Blessèd Spirit, brooding o'er us,
Chase the darkness of our night,
Till the perfect day before us
Breaks in everlasting light.

Before I conclude I wonder how many of you notice that the interlude riffs in this song an excellent prelude to Locomotive Breath.  It is intriguing to me how well this song sets the stage for the remainder of the work.  It is also amazing to me that it evoked so much anger in me when I was young.  Then I heard the final phrase of each verse as a mockery.  Now I see that I too want to be saved from the pollution of religion by truly following Jesus Christ.  Oh Jesus save me!

Hymn 43 – Ian Anderson

Our father high in heaven, smile down upon your son.
Who's busy with his money games, his woman, and his gun.
Oh Jesus save me!

And the unsung Western hero, killed an Indian or three,
And then he made his name in Hollywood to set the white man free.
Oh Jesus save me!

If Jesus saves-well, He'd better save Himself
From the gory glory seekers who use His name in death.
Oh Jesus save me!

Well, I saw Him in the city and on the mountains of the moon -
His cross was rather bloody - He could hardly roll His stone.
Oh Jesus save me.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment