08 May 2013

Anger: The Foolish and the Bold – Duration

Greetings Dear Reader,

How long am I allowed to stay angry?  There are some very clear answers here and they make me mad.  You see I am not allowed to go to bed angry.  I am also required to forgive everyone.  This means that the duration of my anger is limited to the current day.  I do not think this means that I should get angry earlier so that I can remain angry longer if I wish.

I realize that this all sounds a little cheeky but that is the intent.  I think that God intends for my anger to be short lived.  It my anger is just it needs to propel me to forgiveness and restoration.  If it is unjust then in needs to be killed and I need forgiveness.  The implication of this is that dealing with anger properly leads to peace. 

If I have an issue with someone else or know that someone has one with me it is my responsibility to seek peace.  Imagine the impact if everyone who claimed to follow Christ dealt with things this way.  I realize there are situations where one cannot resolve an issue because it may be physically hazardous to do so.  This does not mean that one does not let go of the anger and forgive the other individual.

Anger is too molten and destructive for me to hold it inside. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8/5/13 09:17

    Anger is a natural emotion and is not wrong in and of itself. God get's angry and scripture establishes that he is perfect.

    Then it is not the anger but the actions driven by anger that is wrong. ~ The wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.

    The principle behind not going to bed angry isn't necessarily just about controlling your emotions. Contextually, it is referring to a human's natural tendency to be upset with someone and not directly dealing with that person about whatever issue is bothering you. We instead usually resort to revenge and backstabbing. Most of the time the matter is small enough to be resolved on the spot.

    Regarding temperance or self control, it is not dissimilar to a 2 liter of soda that has been shaken. Inside there is the potential for the soda to throw a fit. However we have to keep our emotional gate (the cap) in check lest we crack it open and blow our top.

    In the end decisions that react to emotion are usually wrong. Deal with it. Don't let it fester. Move on.

    ReplyDelete