02 May 2013

Anger: The Foolish and the Bold – Expressing Anger to God

Greetings Dear Reader,

I wonder why we do not do this better.  I know that I tell God how I feel about things all the time.  I do this often in the car on the way to work.  I usually have my phone headset on so most people probably think I am on the phone.  Occasionally I am talking in the same animated way without the headset.  Fortunately God does not require one.

When things make me angry it does me good to talk them out with God.  I tell him how I feel.  He reminds me that he is in control.  It truly helps.  David did this all the time.  There are many Psalms where it is obvious that the writer wishes for God to intervene in whatever the writer is on about. 

Again we seem to think that anger is always a bad thing.  I find that when I am honest about the anger I can see clearly what is right and wrong about the situation and how to deal with it.  It also quite often shows me when I am being an ass.  Besides, any form of talking to God is good. 

I recall one very hot Florida afternoon that I was very angry.  I was tired and my life was not going well.  I am in my car yelling at God and demanding that he straighten things out for me.  (I do not recommend this last bit.)  I pulled into a grocery store parking lot, stormed into the store, and bought the cheapest jar of apple juice I could find.

The cashier was polite.  I was rude.  I paid and marched angrily out to my sweltering car.  I dove behind the car seat and slammed the car door still fuming at my circumstances and my anger at the “unfairness” of it all.  I ripped the top off the apple juice jar and began pouring the cool juice down my gullet.  Easily have the bottle was down in one huge greedy gulp.  Then I realized it was apple cider vinegar. 

I spewed vinegar all over my windshield and dash.  I was sure I could hear God laughing at me in a very fatherly loving way.  Soon I was laughing too.  I went back into the store, bought some real apple juice and apologized to the cashier.  God used the vinegar to rein me in and show me that things were not so bad.

Anger is not bad and God wishes to hear how we feel.  It often seems that he is hiding.  It often feels that God is distant.  When I express my anger over this in the right way it increases my faith and hope.

How long will you forget, O Lord? (How long? How long?)
How I long to see your face, O Lord? (How long will you hide?)
How I struggle with my thoughts, O Lord! (How long? How long?)
Suffer sorrow in my heart, O Lord! (How long will you hide?)
How How Long? How How Long?

You won't even give an answer, Lord! (How long? How long?)
Give me light or I can live no more! (How long will you hide?)
My foes rejoice when they see me fall! (How long? How long?)
We have overcome and now they call! (How long will you hide?)
How How Long? (Will you hide from me?) How How Long?
How How Long? (Till you set me free?) How How Long?

Still, O Lord, You are so good to me! (How long? How long?)
My heart rejoices how you set me free! (How long will you hide?)
You're the Savior that I'm hoping on! (How long? How long?)
How I trust in your unfailing love! (How long will you hide?)

How How Long? (How long?) How How Long?
How How Long? (Will you wait forever?) How How Long?

 Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment