30 May 2013

Second Thoughts - The Young Captain Kirk

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

Those who know me know of my lifelong love for all things Star Trek.  I have heard over and over criticism
of the Captain Kirk in the last two movies as lacking the morals and character of the original series (TOS) Kirk.  I would propose a few things in our young captain’s defense. 

He is in a different time line and there will be differences, full stop.  To expect everything to be the same is not in keeping with history of Star Trek.  We do not know for sure where the history diverges but from that point on our two Kirks would be different in small and large ways.  We know our original Kirk lived on Tarsus IV and went through a devastating food crisis.  Our new Kirk does not have that history.  He grew up in Iowa with a stepfather.  Our TOS Kirk has a very different path through the academy and to command than does our new one.

He has not had the experiences that our TOS Kirk has had when we first encounter him.  It is obvious that the new Kirk is younger and less experienced.  He does have the same friendships.  Gary Mitchell is absent in the new timeline.  He was TOS Kirk’s helmsman before Sulu.  It also seems that the TOS Kirk’s service aboard the USS Republic is not a part of our new Kirk’s history.

Since we are a product of our environment and experiences in many ways I would posit that to judge our new Kirk too harshly is to not give him the freedom to become.  He is just stepping into the shoes that will lead him to greatness.  I surely would not want to be forever judged by the foolishness of my twenties self. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment