18 June 2013

Doe God Exist – First Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

So I stand on a precipice and I know the water below is deep.  I am not a true scientist and I am not a true theologian.  I do believe that God exists.  I have very specific beliefs about this.  I am not going to enter into a debate about the existence of God but I do need to work through why I believe.

Ultimately one cannot prove or disprove the existence of God.  One cannot point to an event and say that faith is no longer necessary.  That God requires faith is part of the problem and part of the solution.  That we cannot lay hold of evidence that works in an scientific venue creates a problem for some.

What I am going to do is walk carefully and ponderously through some issues that explain why I believe.  Please realize that I am not trying to prove that God exists nor am I attacking anyone who says he does not.  I came to faith from years of doubting God and it is by faith that I maintain my beliefs. 

Everyone believes in something.  Even if it is pure science there is at the root of it faith.  It may be true that there is empirical evidence for things in our current understanding, but one must have a belief in that process to exclude other conclusions.  I do not reject science but I think that there is an arrogance to claiming that we know when there are still unanswered questions.

Feel free to walk and interact with me on this.  I will do my best not to offend or malign anyone.  I realize that may not be possible for some things but I will try.  These are my thoughts and not meant to be great theology or reasoning.  I am not trying to do anything but be real about my own journey.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

2 comments:

  1. I will say that I have been curious about your faith since I learned of it. As I grew up in a religious household, my questions of "Why?" were often answered with "Because, faith." which never made sense to me. I had to justify my actions in all other things.
    My view of the Christian God has become, "Why would I ever want to believe in a God that requires my faith in and worship of in order to receive salvation? I would rather take my chances than pray to such a spiteful being."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom, thank you for your honest comment. I will attempt to address it in future posts on this topic.

    ReplyDelete