29 June 2013

Issues I must address - Homosexuality

Greetings Dear Reader,

I am going to say some things here that may offend you, Dear Reader.  I give you my word that my intent is not to harm anyone.  To my friends who are homosexual I assure you that I am not about to launch into a list of reasons why it is right or wrong to be gay.  I think that if someone wishes to evaluate honestly the status of his or her life it will be found that we are all sinful fallen creatures in desperate need of help.  I am not going to say what I think about the rightness or wrongness of this issue.  Please do not post anything in response that speaks to this aspect of the thought because I will delete it.

What I do need to address is the problem of compassion.  As a follower of Jesus Christ I am forbidden to withhold compassion from anyone.  No matter what I feel about actions, attitudes, or life styles I am not right to deny an individual or group of individuals social justice.  IF (that is a shouted IF) I think that it is wrong to be gay it does not mean that God hates that person and it is not my place to do active or passive harm to a person who is gay.

If I see someone “overtaken in a fault” I am to love them and be humble.  So IF I think that anything is wrong it is my obligation to show that person the love and acceptance of Christ and allow God to convict the individual of sin.  More it is my responsibility to assure that the individual is not mistreated by others.  No matter what lifestyle an individual lives, if they are in need of health care, social benefits, and personal care it is my obligation to see and assist in meeting those needs.

It seems that every generation the Church focuses on an area of sin and ostracizes the individuals who are committing that particular sin.  IF I see homosexuality as a sin I am not free to judge, condemn, hate, or neglect the sinner.  Why?  I am a sinner.  I sin.  My sins are in need of mercy, grace, love, compassion, and forgiveness.  To deny the social needs of anyone because of his or her sin is to sin against that individual.

If Christ follower treated all sin as some treat homosexuality then liars, gossipers, gluttons, and politicians would all be in dire straits.  I cannot judge one sin and ignore others.  My pastor reminds us often that we are all crooked sticks.  The list in Proverbs that numerates sin that God sees as abhorrent is very inclusive.  Before we dare say that God hates gays we had best look at what the Word of God says he hates and assure that we are not doing things on the list.

Pro 6:16-19 There are six things that the LORD hates, even seven that are disgusting to him:
·         arrogant eyes
·         a lying tongue
·         hands that kill innocent people
·         a mind devising wicked plans
·         feet that are quick to do wrong
·         a dishonest witness spitting out lies
·         and a person who spreads conflict among relatives

If I think I am not included in that list I should consider Paul’s list to the Galatians:

Gal 5:19-21 Now, the effects of the corrupt nature are obvious:
·         illicit sex
·         perversion
·         promiscuity
·         worshiping false gods
·         drug use
·         hatred
·         rivalry
·         jealousy
·         angry outbursts
·         selfish ambition
·         conflict
·         factions
·         envy
·         drunkenness
·         wild partying

and similar things. I've told you in the past and I'm telling you again that people who do these kinds of things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

If I think I am not included in this list then I am lying and, therefore, included in the first list.  If I have any hope of there being forgiveness and mercy for my sin then I had better assure that I am not judging others.  More so I should assure that everyone is treated with love, compassion, and social justice. To do less is to assure that I will be judged in the same way that I judge others.

Be clear that I am not saying that if something is wrong that I am accepting the wrong.  What I am saying is that believing that something is wrong does not equate to hating someone else or rejection of the individual.  No matter my thoughts on the right or wrong of homosexuality those who are in that lifestyle are my fellow travelers.  They are humans in need of love, compassion, grace, and mercy just because they are humans. 

To place anyone in a special category because I disagree with what they do is to ignore that Christ sees us all equally.  I may not deny respect and love to any person and say that I am following Christ.  I may not categorize any sin as worse than my own and have integrity before God.  No matter what my view of homosexuality in terms of sin, I may not mistreat, shun, or fail to love anyone.  I believe that denying things like insurance, group benefits, and social justice to anyone is failure to love them. 

I may not even be passive in my compassion for the needs of others.  The Gospel is active in its social response.  The needs of others are implicitly also my responsibility and the responsibility of all Christ followers.  I may not compartmentalize this when considering the social needs of anyone no matter what I think of their lives. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment: