26 June 2013

Second Thoughts - When I Wish to Stop Writing

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

I wrestle with this every couple of months.  I want to only write for a living.  Then I face the page, lack of progress, or lack of support and want to just walk away from it.  I have tried this a couple of times and the result has been painful.  There is so much inside my head that wishes to get out.  

The problem is that making a living steals my time and more importantly my energy.  I get to do a job that is my second best love but it is demanding and taxing.  So at times I am beset by a sad loneliness that seems to rip away at my resolve to continue writing.  Then the story unfolds a little further and the path becomes a little clearer.

I suppose that any journey of passion is the same.  We reach places where we cannot face the next leg, day, or step.  Then it comes down to choice.  It comes down to if I want it or not.  It becomes an action.  Open the file.  Edit the page.  Share the idea.  Write the blog.  Pursue the book.  Create the outline.  Find more resources.  In each of those is a series of smaller steps.  Write the title.  Edit the sentence.  Hone the dialogue.  Filter the words.  Remember the comma. 

Too often I feel I am climbing the Stairs of Cirith Ungol alone.  Then I realize that I am never truly alone.  I just need to narrow my focus and take the next step or a genuine rest. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4/7/13 01:24

    please don't stop writing...
    ever!

    ReplyDelete