17 June 2013

The F Word

Greetings Dear Reader,

I realize that the world around me changes much faster than I change.  I understand that language changes and meanders with the changes in culture and society.  I cannot get used to the common use of the F word.

We live in a country where freedom of speech is guaranteed.  I think we have lost sight of what that truly means.  Freedom of speech is intended to allow a free exchange of ideas between people.  It is the right to express your thoughts on an issue without fear of government persecution.  It is not the freedom to be as offensive or aggressive as you wish.

I think the other casualty of our culture is that we have forgotten that with freedom come responsibility.  I am responsible for the way in which I express myself impacts others.  It is not a matter of whether I care or not.  It is a matter of truth.  I am responsible for the impact of my words.

As we take the vulgar and make it common we do things to our society that have lasting results.  I realize that in the vast sea of problems in our culture that this may be a small thing, but is not the rose colour in a child’s cheeks what leads us to check for fever on the brow?  When we are coarse commonly I cannot think that it does not belie a deeper issue.

I must consider who hears what I say and how it will impact them.  I must always be aware that even idle conversation can hurt others.  I am responsible and accountable.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment