03 July 2013

A Needed Reminder

Greetings Dear Reader,

When I was seven one of the gifts I received for Christmas was a beginner geology kit.  It was a collection of rocks with information as to their characteristics and places in the world where they are found.  In my budding nerdiness I dove into the rocks fascinated by their colour and shape.  One of my favorites was a stone called mica.  It is a sheet silicate that can be easily peeled in what seems like infinite layers. This particular kind of mica, sheet mica is used in electronics, isinglass, and atomic force microscopy.  It is a fascinating mineral.  It was also the mineral that one of my early mentors used to describe the in-plumb-able depths of the Word of God. 

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned a new friend and colleague I had met.  We were speaking yesterday and he reminded me how much he loved reading his Bible because of this very thing.  So many people study, write about, and discuss the Bible without really reading it.  I have been reading it for years and never found it to be dull or incomprehensible.  Rather, I find that every time I approach it honestly it has something new to teach me. 

Recently I have been on a quest to renew something I did years ago that served me greatly.  For about two years I read the Bible through once a month.  I have been doing this again for the last two months.  Just this week as I started again the begets of Genesis and the laws of Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy seemed like the doldrums of the south Pacific.  I was actually pondering giving up the endeavor when I had my conversation yesterday with Ted. 

His words resurfaced in my mind today as I approached my Bible.  I took the time to reread yesterday’s words with a better attitude. Like the mica from my geology kit the words peeled back to reveal more of who God is and how he feels about me. I was reminded that God’s prime mover is his love for us.  I saw how much he wishes for us to love everyone else no matter where they come from or who they are.

I will never thump the Bible at you Dear Reader but it is precious to me.  I wish that I could get everyone just to simply read it.  It is powerful and living.  It has a story to tell that is one of hope and courage.  It is a story about who we are and where we are going as humans.  Like any great story it changes us as we engage with it.  We have to be willing to openly read it.   

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting analogy! It reminds me of a trip my wife and I took through Maine 22 years ago. We discovered an old abandoned quartz mine at the summit of Lord Hill (how appropriate!). The trail leading to the summit was an enchanting journey up a trail glittering with smoky quartz and white mica. When we reached the summit we discovered a large plateau that had the appearance of a massive crystal chandelier broken into millions of sparkling pieces!

    Here is a blog post showing what this looks like! https://midlifeinmaine.wordpress.com/2011/09/page/2/

    ReplyDelete