18 July 2013

At the End of Self

Greetings Dear Reader,

First let me be clear that I am not there.  I have a long way to travel before I see the beginning of the end of my self-absorption.  I want to be selfless but I get in my way.  I know that the more I put this part of me away and give myself to others in good ways the more universal good I can do.

What does it take to get to the end of self?  First I have to daily remind myself that I am not my own.  As my feet hit the floor each morning I have to remember that the day is a gift to me from God.  I have to put that in perspective of what God wishes me to be doing.

I have to treat every interaction as an opportunity to be selfless in some way.  Every conversation must contain my best efforts at showing love and kindness to others.  Every person has needs that I can reach into and meet in some way.

I must also let others do the same for me.  I cannot be selfish even in my selflessness.  I must allow others to be selfless as well.  If I model this then perhaps others will follow suit. 

What gets in the way most of the time is worrying if my needs will be met or if I will get what I want.  There is a difference.  Either way I get in the way of selflessness by trying to get what I want.  The truth is that if I simply do not worry about it and continue to strive for the needs of others then Christ assures me I will have what I need.

If I do not believe that Christ will supply my needs then I will not be as selfless.  So an element of selflessness is faith.  Again faith is required to do something I need to do.  It seems it always comes back to faith.  So getting to the end of self requires faith.  I am OK with that.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."


No comments:

Post a Comment