15 July 2013

Every Relationship Requires Change

Greetings Dear Reader,

One of the areas in which we fail as humans is thinking that we will not change for this or that person.  While it is right that who we are should be what people love and accept, we do change for every relationship in which we take part.  Whether it be family, friends, or lovers we change some things in order to accommodate the needs of those people.

If we are honest we know that we do this and yet so often we refuse to see the change required in us to have a viable relationship with Christ.  We would be horrified at someone who wanted all the benefits of a relationship with us without incurring any of the responsibilities.  Yet this is what I do to God when I refuse to change the things in my life that are not healthy or right.

If I do not accept that this, like every relationship requires that something change in me then I am being selfish and self-deceptive.  I cannot put my own wants ahead of the needs of others and expect to be following Christ.  In the same way I cannot put my desires over the things Christ needs of me and believe that I am giving my best to the relationship.

I have seen people walk away from Christ because the Gospel demands that we change things we do not wish to change.  People will decide that it is too hard to forgive, to love, or to accept someone else.  The choice will be made to walk away from the relationship with Christ rather than abandon things we want.

Every relationship requires change.  When Christ asks me to change he is doing it for my own good.  Every choice to avoid this change is a rejection of Christ.  I must embrace these changes if I truly wish to follow.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment