06 July 2013

That Freaky Cardinal

Greetings Dear Reader,

I have written before about the cardinal that lives outside my living room window.  He takes great joy in pecking at the window and the mirrors on my car incessantly.   He is attacking his reflection. My Grandson has named him the Freaky Cardinal and asks about him often.  It seems that this insane beautiful bird has something to teach me.

My house is not air conditioned and I slept downstairs last night with the windows open and the fans running.  At two in the morning this same freaky Cardinal decided to pay me a visit.  It was not the usual pecking at the window.  Rather he chose to perch on the edge of the raised window and sing. 

The song woke me from a deep sleep. It inserted itself into my dream before calling me to consciousness.  It was beautiful and enchanting.  Here is a good sample of Cardinal Song.  I was a bit annoyed about the time but the beauty of him just sitting there and singing overrode the annoyance. 

As I write this it is daylight and he again attacking the window.   On balance I must say that all the annoying tapping is compensated for by his early morning singing.  Perhaps if I focus more on the beauty of this bird’s song his tapping will be a meager price to pay.  Perhaps I can learn to look for the beauty in all the things that annoy me and become less easily annoyed.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6/7/13 13:41

    I loved this post because one of my favorite memories of visiting you is that Cardinal sitting on the branch of that snow covered bush outside of your window. So beautiful against the snow covered bush. I am so happy that he sings to you and will hug this to my heart.
    Love U

    ReplyDelete