17 July 2013

Things I Need

Greetings Dear Reader,

We speak of so many things in terms of need versus want.  So often the things we need are more important to us when in fact we do not need them, we want them.  What we want too often takes precedence over what others need as well.

I would consider for a bit the definition of need that works better if we are looking for an accurate representation of need in our culture.  I would submit that in our culture when most people express that they need something they are expressing a discrepancy.  Their “need” is actually a discrepancy between that which exists and that which is desired.  “I need a new video card” actually means a new one is on the market that is better than my currently functioning one.  We are taught to be dissatisfied with what we have and to need a new one.

I wonder how often we squander what we have in resources on things we do not really need.  It seems that if I focus on what I truly need I spend less and waste less.  As we begin our annual household purge I am keenly aware of things I thought I needed that have not been used.  I hope this year as I purge my home I can also purge my mind of the need for things I do not need.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."


No comments:

Post a Comment