13 August 2013

Second Thoughts - Who I still Am

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

In October of 2010 I shared a post Who Am I?  It recounted how a three year old little girl thought I was God.  She is the youngest daughter in a family of six daughters.  I love this family dearly and cherish the opportunities I have to help them.  Part of the way they make a living is running concessions at state fairs. 

We visited them at the Wisconsin State fair this past Saturday.  It was great to catch up with them and we had an enjoyable day at the fair.  As we were preparing to leave we were saying goodbye to the mother of the family and thanking her for the day.  She looked obviously stressed and I inquired as to why.

She informed me that she had not seen her youngest now five in a bit.  She brushed away the worry saying that the little was most likely with her older sister.  Then her older sister turned up as we were speaking without the little one.  We all began to search the area for this little child and my Daughter Christmas found her quickly.  She was hiding between two of the food trailers behind some boxes.

Christmas and the child’s mum spent some time calming the little one and then her mum asked if I would be willing to drive the child to spend the rest of the day with her grandmother at the family caravan.  I was happy to do so.

As I carried the child out of the state fair to my car we talked about her family and I kept reassuring myself that she was past the trauma and feeling better.  She asked questions about my beard and long hair.  She said I was the only boy she knew with long hair.  Just before I put her down to get into the car she grabbed me around the neck and pushed her mouth up against my ear.  In a child’s stage whisper she said, “Thank you God.”  She then quickly let go and climbed into the car.

Once again I am astounded that this innocent child sees anything of God in me.  It does make me wish to be better at being Godly in all that I do.  I will find a way to explain to her that I am not God.  My hope is that she merely sees my kindness as a reflection of God and sees him in me.  Either way, her belief that he is there is what gives me pause.  There is not hesitation.  There is no doubt.  “A child shall lead them.”

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment