12 August 2013

Throwing Stones – When You Are Wrong

Greetings Dear Reader,

I have a friend who once told me that when he realizes that he is wrong during an argument that he chooses another area where he is right to argue about or he brings up another area where his spouse is wrong.  He has since gotten some good counseling and does not do this anymore.  He realized that when he felt he was losing that he needed to do damage to salve his pride.

Why do we feel the need to damage those we love just to escape from being wrong?  We say hurtful things. We act in harmful ways.  We trade the opportunity to be humble and honest for the brief respite of prideful damage.  If we play back the tape in our mind of what we say it is obvious that we have thrown stones when we should be handing out grace.

When I am wrong I need to be humble and contrite.  I need to submit my pride to the mercy and grace of others.  Even my anger at my own failures is not what I should pursue.  I must see the damage I have done when I am wrong and show love to the other person.  What needs have I created in them that I can meet?  What should I do to mend the damage I have done by my original wrong?

If I do not see that grace is the path to take when I am wrong then I will not create peace with others.  A series of failures in this area can lead to permanent rifts between people.  This is not how we are supposed to treat each other.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment