10 September 2013

On Sin – First Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

I realize that this word has fallen out of fashion in polite society.  I also realize that if I speak of someone else’s sin I am immediately in danger of being seen as judgmental or unloving.  So let me begin by saying a few things clearly.

The first is that I wish do define sin very clearly.  Dictionary.com defines sin as “transgression against divine law.”  That is a good simple definition and an excellent starting point.  I think of sin as anything that does not align with the character of God.  When I disagree with God then I am wrong. 

As I try to discuss this I am not going to rail against any individual or group of people.  I am not going to generalize about the faith or following of others.  I am not going to engage in categorizing sin. 

What I hope to do is take an honest look at the depth and distance between who I am in relation to God and who he wishes me to be as his child.  Back in February I took on a Thirty Day Challenge to see my sin honestly.  Six months down the road I know that some of the lessons learned during that time have made a difference.

I also know that my sin is still a daily struggle.  I weary most days with that struggle.  When I see the sin of others that I love it breaks my heart.  I must love them.  I must do my best to set an example.  I must focus on the things Christ wishes of me so that I do not fall into the foolishness of judging others and comparing sin.

I am going to take a few days to think through the essence of sin and why it matters so much.  Walk with me if you wish and let me know if I tread to heavily.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment