25 September 2013

Second Thoughts - An Unexpected Parting

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

I love my dentist.  I realize that may just convince some of you that your feelings that I am mad are quite accurate.  If you knew my dentist you would understand why I love him.  I grew up with an almost pathological fear of dentists.  An angry dental student threatened me when I was very young and the fear is anchored in my mind.

When I first moved to the town in which I currently live I had no insurance and a bad tooth infection.  My dentist agreed to help me and set an appointment to do so.  The first person who worked with me that day was his hygienist, Jenifer.  That was fourteen years and many cleanings ago.

In her kind and reassuring way Jenifer has helped transform me from needing drugs and gas to get into the chair to someone who looks forward to the cleaning and the work she so lovingly does.  Today was my last visit with Jenifer.  She is accepting a new challenge in life that promises to be enriching for her. 

It is what she leaves behind that I value.  She has enriched my life.  She has given me courage and better health.  She has help validate both my fears and the need to move beyond them.  Jenifer has made me a better man in some ways.  I know that I will miss her on my visits but I also know she will be benefitting others and have more time for her family.

The other dividend is that I know that she will avert the fears of others as she did mine.  She will see to it that each person she helps feels valued and cared for.  Jenifer I will miss you but I am happy for you and your new adventure.

Even in this parting I see the beauty and grace this is following Christ.  The change is bittersweet but necessary.  The day ends the same as it began, with me on a journey.  I walk with people for a space and have the opportunity to see the beauty and grace created in each of them.  That is what makes the journey tolerable until I get home.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment