23 September 2013

Social Media – Boundaries

Greetings Dear Reader,

In any use of social media we must be more aware of proper social boundaries.  It is too easy to simply put things out there without considering how that something impacts others.  I have two friends who recently chose to remake their Face Book pages.  One invited me to be a part of her new page the other did not. 

Since I do not share a close friendship with the latter individual I chose to respect the boundary she has set. If he needs my assistance he knows how to contact me.  I also have a friend who “likes” everything I do without thinking that this is an intrusion.  She links me to pages on political views and social issues without knowing my position on those things.  She comments on my doings without considering if it is appropriate to do so.

Because I care for this individual I let it pass but it is a good example of how I must be aware of how I interact with others on social media.  I must assure that my comments respect the boundaries of others.  I must not only be kind and loving but I must not venture into areas that are not my concern.

I must respect the social circles of others.  If I am concerned for someone I should ask them privately.  If I dislike something and it is proper for me to comment I should assure that I do so in private as well.  There are things I may disagree with if someone has put out an issue for debate but I must assure that my comments are on the issue and reflect the love and character of Christ.

It seems that social media shrinks healthy boundaries.  It requires more vigilance on my part to assure that I show love and respect to everyone.  There is no lease within this medium for me to intrude or be unkind.  Social media like any other endeavor requires that I think and act as a Christ follower above all else.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment