25 September 2013

Social Media – Real Life Interactions

Greetings Dear Reader,

I have been in a room with seven adults where none of us were talking to each other and all of us were using some form of social media.  It turned out that three of them were having a deep discussion using their laptops.  They were talking but not talking even though they were in the same room.

Please notice I did say “us” there.  I have been guilty of shutting out others in favor of using my laptop.  I make no apologies for this when I am writing but when I am in an environment with friends or family it is inexcusable.  I have to be careful not to let my virtual interactions take the place of my real life ones.

The people I am with deserve my best when I am there.  I cannot give this if I am focused on my Face Book page or in a virtual world instead of with them.  I am not saying there is no place for this but I think in general we put out attention to the virtual over the real too often.

Another place I notice this is at the movie theatre.  My Sons are excellent at providing interesting conversation pre-show.  Yet when I look around I will see dozens of small screens lit up whilst people fail to interact with those around them.

If I am to follow Christ well I must be very aware of this part of my use of social media.  I must assure that I am giving my very best to those around me when I am with them.  I must be aware of the conversations and the interactions.  After all social media is a problem if it makes you antisocial.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment