26 October 2013

Belief versus Following – Church

Greetings Dear Reader,

I would never discuss this topic without the caveat that the Church and churches in America have some serious problems.  I have seen people I love and respect walk away for both good and bad reasons. 

Where is the place of church in my attempt to follow and not just believe?  I think that if I wish to truly follow Christ and cannot abandon church altogether.  I also think that at its height the church in America did not truly stand by the Gospel and all it requires.  I cannot get around that the Church has social responsibilities that is has fostered off on the government both locally and nationally.

The Gospel and following Christ require me to be socially involved in the needs of others.  I also believe that
I cannot maintain a social awareness without the balance of spiritual accountability.  If I take Christ out of any process that process ultimately fails.  If my motivation for serving others is not because of my faith and following then I will serve my own interests.

The Church is the place where I can find fellow travelers with whom to pool resources and release them for the good of others.  It is also the place for loving and grace oriented accountability.  Without that accountability I know that I do not do as well as I should.  It seems that accountability for our actions is something we flee as a society now. 

There can be balance and the Church can be relevant.  The starting point is realizing that we are to be the positive difference in the community both corporately and individually.  It is my duty to help make it so.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment