29 October 2013

Belief versus Following – Hospitality

Greetings Dear Reader,

I have so much more than I need.  I think that most of us do Dear Reader.  I have rooms in my house that I rarely use.  I have room in my home for people who need refuge.  Recently I was privileged to share my space with someone in need.  I was able to give a friend a place to sleep for the night.

As I anticipated this friend’s arrival I pondered how much I love it when someone stays in my home.  I also considered how often this opportunity is open when I allow it to be open.  So many of those who follow Christ are travelers.  They depend on others for the daily provision of needs.

I wonder what the world would look like were all Christ followers committed to hospitality at a level that truly met the needs of others.  I believe that we are to have homes that are open to others.  I believe it can create a space for others to see Christ in a new light.  I also believe that we can allow ourselves to be changed by the interaction with those who move through our homes. 

There is a sense of anticipation that comes with others sleeping in my home.  As I make breakfast my heart is a little lighter.  As I anticipate greeting a guest I prepare the coffee, the bacon, and the pancakes.  I enjoy the ritual of breakfast and starting someone’s day with kindness and love.

Perhaps hospitality gives one a micro-view of what we are to be like always.  Fellow travelers are guests in our part of the journey and worthy of our best.  We are to treat others well and see to their needs and comfort when we can.  We are to be moments of warmth and refuge.  After all, is that not what we need from Christ?

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. Yes!! Someday when I have a home of my own I dream of being able to host guests, both friends and family, but also friends of friends who are passing through. I just love that :).

    ReplyDelete