28 October 2013

Belief versus Following – Prayer

Greetings Dear Reader,

It seems that some view prayer as an event in which one participates both publicly and privately.  Others will say that it is the constant conversation with God that one has throughout the day.  For me it is both. 

The importance of the matter is that one does pray.  It is vital that we have the conversation.  It is important that we put God into the conversation of our lives.  If we find that means long periods of prayer to the exclusion of other things then we should do it.  If that means that responding to God first when things delight, perplex, or trouble us then we should do it.

The point is that we should do it.  How can I hope to maintain a relationship with someone with whom I do not communicate?  God is to be a vital part of my conversation.  Too much of what prayer is depends on my inclusion of it in every area of life.  It is easy to let prayer fall into formality and relegate it as an activity for gatherings and traditions.

I can believe in prayer and not have it be a part of my following.  I can neglect it and only use it when I need or want something.  It is much more important to assure that I follow Christ’s example and discipline my mind to see God first in every situation.  If I do not do this I am not truly following.  If I discipline my mind to do this with prayer it becomes much easier to do it with attitudes and actions.

Prayer needs to be the constant and sometimes focused conversation that propels me into deeper intimacy with God.  I cannot just believe that prayer is a good idea.  I must follow with my heart and mind.  I must speak to God as Lord, Father, and fellow traveler.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment