20 October 2013

What is Selfless Faith - Possessions?

Greetings Dear Reader,

I recently stayed for the weekend at a Bed and Breakfast.  The proprietor is obviously a Christ follower.  His jovial and accommodating demeanor also make him an excellent innkeeper.  At breakfast the first morning I pointed out that his key fob was an old logo of the company for which I work.

He explained that it was from a set of keys that had been his parents and explained a bit of the history of the company.  He instantly said, “If it would mean something to you to have it, you may have it.”

I declined as my interest was mere curiosity.  I was, however, marked by his selflessness and generosity.  I believe that possessions are one of the major things that keep our faith from being selfless.  Too often we sacrifice the opportunity to be generous and loving for the sake of possessions.  Nothing I have will follow me into the clearing at the end of the path.  Anything I cling to here will mean nothing there.

If my faith is to be selfless I must not let possessions govern me in any way.   I used to have a firm grip on this and then I lost it for a bit.  I am regaining my footing here but there are still things I value too highly.  Possessions make following more difficult as they weigh one down. 

I want my heart to generous and giving.  I want my faith to be one that depends on Christ and not things.  If I am to accomplish this I must not cling to things. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment