22 November 2013

Preparing for Advent – What do I have – Community

Greetings Dear Reader,

One of the opportunities that I most look forward to as I prepare for Advent is the deeper sense of community.  The call upon our lives is twofold.  We are called to love God and we are called to love each other.  The call is to be a community.  I cannot begin to think about the Advent of Christ without pondering how much I am to be aware of the needs of those around me.

I hear Marley’s voice from A Christmas Carol instructing the unrepentant Scrooge, “Mankind was my business.”  If I do not use the community of faith to reach the community of man than I cannot truly put my heart in line with Christ’s.

As I ponder Advent I must prepare my heart to be of service to others.  The call is to community.  It really is that simple.


In an upstairs room, a parable is just about to come alive.
And while they bicker about who's best, with a painful glance, He'll silently rise.

Their Savior Servant must show them how through the will of the water
and the tenderness of the towel.

And the call is to community, The impoverished power that sets the soul free.
In humility, to take the vow, that day after day we must take up the basin and the towel.

In any ordinary place, on any ordinary day,
the parable can live again when one will kneel and one will yield.

Our Saviour Servant must show us how through the will of the water
and the tenderness of the towel.

And the space between ourselves sometimes is more than the distance between the stars.
By the fragile bridge of the Servant's bow we take up the basin and the towel.

And the call is to community, The impoverished power that sets the soul free.
In humility, to take the vow, that day after day we must take up the basin and the towel.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment