10 December 2013

Advent – A Week of Sundays – Forgiveness for Family

Greetings Dear Reader,

When I thought about this post and the topic I wondered just who others would think of when they considered family and forgiveness.  I know that I thought of someone both when I listed the topic in my blog plan and when I opened it to write it.  The thing about forgiveness is that it requires alacrity.  One must forgive as quickly as possible. 

We do not get to choose our family members.  We are not able to make them be as we wish.  Like us they have flaws and issues.  Like us they irritate others.  Some family members are unhealthy for us.  Their actions may be harmful to others.  I never want to confuse the issue of forgiveness with the issue of safety. 

We must forgive our families.  We are not obligated to put ourselves in harm’s way to do so.  Forgiveness is vital to our inner being.  I must know for sure that I have forgiven others.  It must be my mind and spirit that are at peace with this.  If I can I must move on to living peacefully with that individual and doing all that I am able to show them Christ’s love.

It is one of those things that must be done on purpose.  Some people will not change.  It is not that they cannot change.  It is a choice.  They may not be at the place where they are willing to change.  I must assure that I am using the grace given me to live out the forgiveness I have received by forgiving my family members that have harmed me. 

I said two people have come to mind whilst preparing this.  I have taken the time to assess my thoughts about these two people.  I have set aside who I think is right or wrong or good or bad.  I have chosen to forgive them and pray for them.  I hope that someone somewhere is doing the same for me. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment