03 December 2013

Advent – A Week of Sundays – God as Shepherd

Greetings Dear Reader,

Psalm 23:1-6
A psalm by David. The LORD is my shepherd. I am never in need.
He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside peaceful waters.
He renews my soul. He guides me along the paths of righteousness for the sake of his name.  Even though I walk through the dark valley of death, because you are with me, I fear no harm. Your rod and your staff give me courage. You prepare a banquet for me while my enemies watch. You anoint my head with oil. My cup overflows. Certainly, goodness and mercy will stay close to me all the days of my life, and I will remain in the LORD'S house for days without end.

If I view Christ as my good shepherd then I must look to what is said about his shepherding to understand what I am to expect.  King David grew up as a shepherd and understood this aspect of God quite well. 

The overwhelming thought that this Psalm gives is that God is good and will provide for us according to that goodness.  Not only does this good shepherd provide for the needs of his sheep but he does so with quality. 

Not only are my needs provided for but I will be protected from evil.  Even in the most dangerous situations you promise to be there and make a way.  I know someone who was in a life threatening situation.  Someone intended to kill her.  During the ordeal she recited the words to the song “In Christ Alone” over and over.  She found hope in this.  The only moment when she was free to act was the moment in which her captor lapsed into unconsciousness related to his diabetes and she escaped. 

A third aspect of this Divine Shepherd is that he will always be with me.  I am never alone.  Even when I think things are dire this Shepherd God is constantly present.  He calls me as his own and promises I will always dwell with him.  This is the one who comes to us.  This is the God who is our shepherd.  This is the God who becomes the infant in the manger and our Emmanuel. This is who I follow to the manger, to the ministry, and to the cross.  Then I get to follow him to the resurrection, the redemption, and the rest of what is to come.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment