02 December 2013

Advent – A Week of Sundays – On Being Sheep

Greetings Dear Reader,

I have been told in the past that those who follow Christ are just sheep.  Some have even said dumb sheep.  I know several other Christ followers who are assuredly not dumb.  On the other hand, we are sheep.  The problem is that this is not a bad thing.

We are to follow and sheep are good at following.  We are to hear the voice of God and respond to it. Sheep follow the voice of the shepherd.  Some seem to see this as a weakness.  Jesus is the good shepherd who has all we need.  That sounds so puerile but it is, nonetheless, true.  Everything about our situation requires that someone one care for us and guide us.

We think we do not need this but that is a lie.  We are in a world that is fallen and dangerous.  It is full of things that wish to devour us.  We are sheep whether we admit it or not.  We need humility.  I know I do. 

Advent reminds me that Christ the Shepherd demonstrated that humility when he arrived as a child.  He put his life into our form so that he could experience what we do.  He became like us so that we could know him better and follow his example.  I need to see this humble shepherd aspect of Christ as I celebrate Christmas so that I can better accept my role as a part of his flock.

Everything about faith is following.  If I refine my view of Christ as the good shepherd and my understanding of what it is to follow like sheep then I may gain a better grasp of who I am to be in Christ.  The next time someone refers Christ followers as sheep I hope that I am aware enough of what that really means to thank him.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment