12 December 2013

Advent – A Week of Sundays – Seeking Forgiveness

Greetings Dear Reader,

A few weeks ago I offended a colleague at work.  I realized that I had been inconsiderate and immediately asked him to forgive me.  His response was fascinating.  He told me that no one asks for forgiveness anymore.  I realized that there was an opportunity here.  I asked very politely if he would forgive me.  I needed to be forgiven.  Immediately he had tears in his eyes. 

This friend asked if how he felt really mattered to me.  I assured him that it did.  Out came a flood of life situations and pain that he did not feel he could share with anyone else.  In his outpouring he included an observation that I often have.  He pointed out that people say “sorry” all the time but no one really asks for forgiveness.

I realize how true this is.  In a world so in dire need of forgiveness we have replaced seeking it with a passive “sorry”.  Perhaps our loss of understanding here is more dire than we realize.  We know that carrying around anger and bitterness harms us emotionally and physically.  I have learned that asking for forgiveness lessens my willingness to stay angry about things. 

Most of the time when people say they are sorry there is not sorrow involved.  Rather it impacts me as dismissive of the slight or offence involved.  We need to really seek forgiveness for our wrongs.  I need to be sure that I embrace humility is asking others to forgive me when I offend them.  It is the humility and seeking peace with others that is so powerful.  I must be aware of my own need for forgiveness if I ever hope to reach my potential in Christ.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. as a Christian, I do not believe that I have a right to sit
    In judgement of how a person requests forgiveness. I have the duty to forgive. Only Christ has the right to judge.

    ReplyDelete