31 December 2013

The Real Twelve Days of Christmas – New Year’s Eve

Merry Christmas Dear Reader,

My younger Son, Bezel likes to joke about us celebrating Christ’s birth later than it should be celebrated.  I find that humorous but I also think that if we celebrated as we should that Jesus would not care when we did it.  We talk about the fixing of the date around the solstice for the purpose of syncretization and that is partially true.  What we do not consider is that when this is done it includes two weeks of time off and daily celebrations.  I would trade the actual day of my birth for a two week celebration any time.   

Part of that celebration is the closing of the year.  In our culture Christmas is over and we are on to the next year.  Those who know me well can tell you that I see it as only 358 more sleeps until Christmas.  How much of the year is too much to spend pondering peace, love, and good will toward men?  Why do we not celebrate as long as possible instead of putting a moratorium on the celebration?

As my family and friends go out to celebrate the end of the year I will spend it quietly with my Grandsons.  I will use tonight as another chance to give.  Whenever I give from the heart I extend Christmas a little further.  That is what brings me joy.  I know that not everyone thinks like I do on this matter but it is the spirit of celebrating Christ that I want to embrace every day.

Instead of resolutions and hangovers I hope that the world finds a way to see the hope that should be carried over into the next year.  I find wisdom in having the celebration of Christmas transcend the calendar year.  It is not the days and season that govern my faith and following. 

So as the year closes I do wish you, Dear Reader a Joyous New Year.  I hope that you celebrate and are celebrated well.  I will raise a glass in your honor and a prayer of hope for you to find all that you need for the journey.


The Closing of the Year – Wendy and Lisa

If I cannot bring you comfort
Then at least I bring you hope
For nothing is more precious
Than the time we have and so

We all must learn from small misfortune
Count the blessings that are real
Let the bells ring out for Christmas
At the closing of the year
Let the bells ring out for Christmas
at the closing of the year

All for the needs of a Sergeant Major,
Ride through the woods with the wind in your hair,
Silver bells on the snow white reindeer
As we race to the castle over there

If I cannot bring you comfort
Then at least I bring you hope

Now all the winter bells are ringing
Hear them echo through the snow
And the children's voices singing
on the streets so far below

This is a time to be together
And the truth is somewhere here
Within our love: all people
At the closing of the year

We'll walk in the sun
With all of the faith
And all of the Patience
All of the way
With all of us right
And all of us saying
"Love one another"
We'll fly in the arms of time
Walk in the waves, never fall
Don't fall (at the closing of the year)
At the closing of the year

If I cannot bring you comfort
Then at least I bring you hope

Then at least I bring you hope

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."


Closing of the Year - long loop version

No comments:

Post a Comment