29 December 2013

The Real Twelve Days of Christmas – Thomas of Canterbury

Merry Christmas Dear Reader,

On this day in 1170 Archbishop Thomas was murdered in Canterbury Cathedral by four knights.  Whether King Henry II wished him dead or not is unclear but the knights who did so thought they were acting on the wishes of the king. 

It is the death of anyone who would further the cause of Christ that occupies my mind today.  The problems that Thomas had with the church were political and I am not sure who was correct.  It does not really matter.  What matters is that I remember that still today people are killed because of their faith.

The church universal has done some terrible things during its history.  This does not diminish that people should not be killed because of what they believe.  We have somehow as humans made a false connection that if one believes differently from another that enmity must follow.

I am capable of thinking that someone is completely wrong and still loving that person.  This is a primary tenant of the Gospel.  There is no room in following Christ for hating or killing someone who disagrees with me.  It seems, however, that we have equated disagreement with hatred.  This leads down a most dangerous path.

As long as there is evil in the world those who have faith will be killed for that faith.  This is not true for everyone but it is still true.  I live in a very safe world compared to others.  My brother shared a story just last week concerning the killing of Christ followers in another country.  The power I wield is love.  If I wield it well and in the spirit of Christ then it will yield both love returned and hatred.  True evil cannot abide the love of God.

My responsibility to Christ is love.  I must remember those who die for that love or I cannot truly celebrate Christ.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment