02 January 2014

The Real Twelve Days of Christmas – What We Leave Behind

Merry Christmas Dear Reader,

Today the liturgical calendar suggests that we celebrate three different saints.  I honor them for their contribution to the faith and the work they did in their lives.  All three of them, Saint Stephen, Saint Gregory the Theologian, and Saint Basil lived in the fifth century of earlier.

Stoning of Stephen 
The impact that these men have on me is the fact that fifteen to twenty centuries later we still remember what they contributed to the faith.  I do not wish to be venerated or famous.  I do wish to live a life that still has impact for Christ fifteen centuries from now.

The only way I can see to achieve this is to live in the present every moment of every day whilst holding fast to the long view of faith.  I must follow Christ in this moment for the eternal reward of having followed Christ in every moment.  I realize I have and will fail at this but intent and action can lead to more moments where I have followed than have not.  I can make this my purpose and it will sustain me in every endeavor. 

Celebrating Christmas is not the trappings but the realigning of the heart and mind.  I have so many good examples including the men whose names we remember today.  I follow a God who dared to be like me so that he could rescue me.  All he asks is that I follow in faith that he has all things in his hand.  If I can do this perhaps I will leave behind something worthy of remembering.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment