22 January 2014

What Am I Carrying – Guilt

Greetings Dear Reader,

I think that the weight of guilt may be one of the most malleable and dense things in the universe.  It seeks its own level, finds every available crevice, and replicates to stretch every available place in my spirit.  As it does all this it also increases its density to make every breath, step, and movement a laborious affair.

This is not how Christ wishes us to travel.  It is not the way in which I am to fill my heart and mind.  God’s blood bought our forgiveness.  His ridicule, pain, rejection, and death are there to free us from guilt.  I am free.

Unfortunately sometimes I still live as a slave.  I shackle my own good with the chains of things for which I am already forgiven.  I try to create good things and the weight of past sins holds me back from seeing and seeking my own potential.  I do well and imprison the joy of it because I dwell on failures that cannot be undone.

Christ wishes me to learn from the past but not be manacled to it.  If I carry guilt and regret for the past with me I cannot journey forward with the joy and love that Christ desires for me.  There must be no room in my kit for guilt that I should have left behind.

I must travel.  I must move with consistency and purpose.  I cannot carry guilt or it will hinder me from being all that I can be for Christ and others. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous22/1/14 11:41

    So, as I understand this, I should be able to lay aside
    The guilt I have felt over the years about certain things that I would have done differently if I could. But what if others choose to lay those mistakes on you and never allow you to forget?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings Dear Reader,

    I think that it is not just laying aside guilt but accepting how God sees us. He does not revisit our failures but removes them “as far as the east is from the west.” The omniscient God says that this is the one thing he will “remember not more.” So yes we are to leave the past in the past except for learning from it.

    As far as others laying those mistakes on you and not allowing forgiveness it is vital that we not align with their thinking. What is the motive of their doing this? Whatever it is they are not following Christ. If you have moved on from the behaviour that causes the guilt then it is no longer yours.

    We also have to consider where others are in the process. I have done things from which others have not healed. Instead of embracing guilt when this comes up I focus on being loving and supportive instead. I give my heart and assure that my actions are not the same as those that caused the damage. I hope this helps. Feel free to keep the conversation going.

    Wishing you joy in the journey,

    Aramis

    ReplyDelete