10 January 2014

What Fuels Me – Faith

Greetings Dear Reader,

Thank you for being patient with me whilst I worked through the less pleasant aspects of what drives me.  I could mention other things but the truth is that the two prime negative movers for me are those I have addressed. 

Fortunately God has provided things that fuel me that are good as well.  Faith is one of them.  I try to speak clearly and though I believe the Bible I try to not use it as my jumping point in these thoughts.  It does inform most of my thoughts.   I want to use two particular quotes

Hebrews 11:6 No one can please God without faith. Whoever goes to God must believe that God exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

Romans 14:23 But if a person has doubts and still eats, he is condemned because he didn't act in faith. Anything that is not done in faith is sin.

If you are unsure of the context of these two quotes it is worth your time to read the surrounding text.  I do my best never to use quotes from the Bible out of context.  I feel that both of the statements about faith here translate universally based on the context.

If then I must have faith to please God and anything I do outside of faith that I am doing what is right is sin I must assure that faith is what drives me.  This is not intended to be a puerile statement.  Faith is to be an informed and intelligent.  I am to know why I do what I do in following Christ. 

There are times, however, when all I have is faith.  If I am not experienced at excising my faith then when that it all I have there will be little in the tank to move me onward.  Faith drives me at times.  There are things I do that I would not do were it not for the urging of my beliefs.  I am a better man than I would be without faith.

It drives me when I need to fight fear and greed.  It puts my perspective where it should be when other cares try to overwhelm me.  Faith comes easy for me and I must be aware that is not true for everyone.  It is the essence of what fires my soul to be faithful to Christ and to follow him.  There is a purer fuel for me and we will ponder that tomorrow.

By Faith – Michael Card

By faith one was commended for the sacrifice he made
Another out of holy fear built an ark the world to save
Another left his homeland and as a stranger he'd reside
But none received the promise then and so, in faith, they died.

Others conquered kingdoms, quenched the fury of the flames
Some made strong in battle, some were raised to life again
But many more were martyred midst the crowds loud clamoring
By faith they would not bow the knee nor kiss the emperor's ring

Faith understands and offers
It assures and calms our fears
It can shut the mouths of lions
And make sense of scars and tears
We persevere in hope
And with conscience clean and clear
We walk this fallen wilderness
With Salvation's Pioneer

Being sure of what we hope for, seeing what is yet unseen
A universe from nothingness, new life where none had been
The known made from unknowable and hope for the comfortless
Who hear and hold on firmly to the faith that they possess

Faith understands and offers
It assures and calms our fears
It can shut the mouths of lions
And make sense of scars and tears
We persevere in hope
And with conscience clean and clear
We walk this fallen wilderness
With Salvation's Pioneer

So fix your eyes upon the Champion as you seek to run the race
Understanding that He cheers you on as you long for His embrace
So hold on and do not grow weary of the faith that you profess
Remembering that you are ringed around by this cloud of witnesses

Faith understands and offers
It assures and calms our fears
It can shut the mouths of lions
And make sense of scars and tears
We persevere in hope
And with conscience clean and clear
We walk this fallen wilderness
With Salvation's Pioneer

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment