11 February 2014

Erosion – Civility

Greetings Dear Reader,

I suppose this is one of those things that is coupled with kindness and humility in an inseparable way.  The specific that I see in my life is that I need to be civil to everyone I encounter.

Growing up in the south I walked through a world where people greeted each other even if they were total strangers.  When I moved to the Midwest I had not shed this habit and found that it was not so here.  My friendly greetings where often met with head down ignoring, looks of shock, or expletive filled dismissals.

A friend tried to explain that one does not do that here.  In my reasoning it was my duty to be civil with everyone.  I have tempered this over my years here out of respect for those in my community but I think that being civil is eroding in our society.

It seems that we do not treat others with sense of community they deserve.  Neighbors do not know each other.  People do not look out for each other.  When we lose this we lose some of the richness that exists in those around us.  We are not as invested in others as we should be invested.

As one who desires Christ I must remember that he wants me to be a part of the lives of those around me.  Civility opens the door to that. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11/2/14 13:27

    I agree with you totally. People in the South have evolved into the same ways here in the South over the past years, sadly. I have found that little acts of Kindness overcome
    Attitudes, giving someone a thank you when they hold the door open or letting someone have the grocery cart that it took me several minutes to to loosen from the other carts.
    I enjoy iy so much that it is addictive.��

    ReplyDelete