08 February 2014

Erosion – Tolerance

Greetings Dear Reader,

As I ponder tolerance I think it must follow patience.  I am not talking about the kind of tolerance that accepts everything as allowable.  All things are not good.  There are things that are absolutely wrong and one should not tolerate them.

Now before you assume what I am talking about let me assure you that I do not hate anyone.  It is not logical to assume that the position that something is wrong automatically means that I hate, dislike, or dismiss the wrong doer.

The type of tolerance to which I must adhere is that which allows for infinite differences in people as the journey toward God.  I do not get to choose how one prays, worships, or follows.  That is not my place.  

I think that when I get comfortable with the ways in which I do things that I must not presume that is the only way to do them.  I must not allow my mind to develop an intolerance of the infinity diversity that can be found in truth.

I think that the ability to hold fast to my convictions must not erode my tolerance for those who do not share them.  To do so would be a violation of my convictions.  I cannot be intolerant of others and show them the love Christ commands at the same time.  It is my obligation not to allow social acceptance, political climate, or personal dislike to make me dismissive of others.

If I believe that something you do is wrong then it is my obligation to love you and hope to see you realize that you are wrong.  It is not my place to badger, criticize, and reject. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment