28 February 2014

On America – Closing Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

I love where I live.  I know that there is greatness in this nation.  I know that I have responsibilities relative to that greatness.  I have those responsibilities because of my responsibility to Christ.

I have written before on why I believe that America is not a Christian nation.  That does not me that I do not have an obligation to put Christ first in my thoughts and actions relative to my citizenship. 

I am required to care for those around me.  I am obligated to love everyone and look to the needs of others.  Beyond that doing so assures a better world in which to live.  We erected a statue inviting exiles to flock to us for acceptance and safety.  We beacon those “yearning to breathe free.” 

If this country is to retain its power, is freedom, and its very soul then we must look to the care of all who accept that this is a place to breathe free.  We must care for each other in any way possible.  We must see that we are each other’s responsibility.  I am my brother’s keeper.  I am accountable for anyone who is poor, oppressed, or enslaved. 

Any man’s death diminished me.  Any injustice that I allow makes me unjust.  This is a land of plenty but I must not feast if I do not care for those who cannot do the same.  I must assure that I will sacrifice all to aide some.  America is not the greatest nation in the world but is used to be and it could be again.
           
Statue of Liberty Poem - The New Colossus – Emma Lazarus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment