12 February 2014

Second Thoughts – You Shall Not Pass

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

As a teacher I am very demanding.  I am also a nice guy.  Last night I had a student tell me he was tired of my attitude because I kept criticizing his work.  He swore at me using several colorful metaphors pointing out that he did not like me expecting him to do his best all the time.

I live in the odd world between knowing a student’s potential and seeing his or her product.  This student is capable of far more than he is producing.  Sometimes it gets the better of me and I lose heart in the job that I do. 

I have another student who is being distracted from his work by other things.  He is capable of greatness and is settling for mediocrity due to his energies being divided.  I do not think students know how deeply this hurts us as teachers. 

This thinking always puts me in mind of how I sometimes squander opportunities given me by God.  I am offered opportunities to be loving, generous, or kind and I let them pass without thinking about what I am giving up.  I must use the pain of my students’ failures to spur me on to success in following Christ by not losing opportunities.  I cannot always get them to do what is best.  I can always attempt to do what is best if I choose. 

If you do not do the work, you shall not pass.  It really is that simple. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."


No comments:

Post a Comment