03 March 2014

Bumper Sticker Religion – Money

Greetings Dear Reader,

I may not have said this clearly yesterday but the bumper stickers I am commenting on are ones I have actually seen.  This one is based on a misconception of money and a misquote of the original statement.  The bumper sticker reads “Why do churches want money when it is the root of all evil?”

First I must point out that the quote is in error.  Paul, in his letter to Timothy says that “The love of money is
the root of all evil.”  There is a vast difference between the inanimate metal and paper to which we assign value and the position of loving that metal and paper.  Money cannot be evil.  It is a thing.  Loving money leads to many forms of evil.  I think we all know that the bumper sticker still has a point.

Money is the way in which we acquire what we need from others.  It is not the only way but it is the primary one.  When I work I trade part of my life and skills for money so that I can sustain my home and pursuits.  This makes sense. 

When churches ask for money they either do it well or they do not.  Unfortunately those outside of my faith tend to paint us all with the same brush.  When people of faith put money ahead of the Gospel they can do and have done great evil.  To fail to acknowledge this is dishonest.   Too often a church will invest in gaining money rather than doing the work of the Gospel.

If we have the faith we claim to have then this is never necessary.  God commands us to do the work of the Gospel and not to worry about our needs.  You see the rest of the quote from Paul to Timothy puts the words in proper perspective.

“The love of money is the root of all evil. Some people who have set their hearts on getting rich have wandered away from the Christian faith and have caused themselves a lot of grief. But you, man of God, must avoid these things. Pursue what God approves of: a godly life, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness.”

Money is a tool to use for the sake of the Gospel.  Love and faith that are our real tender.  If I am to follow Christ well my resources must be those which God provides.  I must not muddy the Gospel by pursuing money and failing to be good to others. I realize that people have put money ahead of the Gospel and this is a problem we must all deal with to show true faith.

I must be generous and kind.  I must put people ahead of things.  I must not allow greed to hinder the Gospel.  

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment