28 March 2014

On Apologetics – Arrogance

Greetings Dear Reader,

An issue that I think we often skirt is that of the seeming arrogance of our stance as Christ followers.  It is going to offend people when I align myself with Christ’s statements concerning the singularity of his position as the path to God and faith.

Following Christ is exclusive.   If I do not assure that I am honest about this I betray both my faith and my integrity with those who do not believe as I believe.  If I do not accept that my position as Christ being the only path to God sounds arrogant then I am not honest.

It is arrogant that I think my truth is right and that others hold “truths” that are incorrect.  I must proceed from this position or I will not deal with the insult it insinuates into the discussion. 

When I defend my faith I am saying that it is the path to God.  It is the narrow trail by which we reach the clearing where God is.  It is in this admission that I find the deep need for unconditional love and humility.  It I have any hope of transcending the arrogance and being heard it lies in a life that his loving and humble.

I must approach this arrogance from a position of love and acceptance not judgment and condemnation.  I must not waiver in the position but I must not allow that position to instigate pride or prejudice. 

I must not use the singularity of my faith to create an event horizon that rejects others but rather one that draws others to it.  I cannot do this from a position of pride, hatred, or avarice.  I can only do this by living the humility and grace that the Gospel commands.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment