09 March 2014

Reading Well

Greetings Dear Reader,

I read quite a bit.  One of my mentors taught me that I should read 100 pages for each page I write.  I read fiction and non-fiction.  I like history and fantasy.  I like science fiction and classic literature.

I do not think of myself as “well read.”  I do, however, think that reading well is important.  One of my dear friends calls reading the works of others standing on the shoulders of those who have come before us.  It helps us see further. 

In my writing room I am surrounded by books that I have actually read.  There are hundreds of them.  I read things with which I agree and disagree.  Reading well means that really listen to what is being said with as few filters as possible. 

After that I can put in place the knowledge that I have gained along the way to evaluate what I have read.  I consider each new thought in light of what I already know or ponder.  Doing this regularly has reminded me that I must truly read the things that I already know.

I read the Bible daily.  It is important that even though I have read it through many times that when I read I read well.  I have had many people talk about studying it but few that truly read it.  The Bible speaks to and informs all that I am.  I must not fail to read it well. I cannot filter it through anyone else’s mind set.

I must not be content with what I know.  I must always be seeking to learn more and apply what I know.  The journey requires that I read well if I am to understand the path and follow it properly.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."


No comments:

Post a Comment