20 March 2014

World Story Telling Day

Greetings Dear Reader,

Since it is World Story Telling Day I thought I would share a story from my book Sheetrock.  Enjoy with my dearest wish that you have excellent stories in your life.

Putting Food By

Sometimes you hang on to things that are gone through the things that are left behind.   In my Grandfather’s house was a pantry.  It was a large closet ringed with varying height shelves.  These shelves held the usual canned and dry goods common to a proper southern home in the sixties. 

My grandmother was very particular about her pantry in that she had each section of each shelf assigned for certain items.  Canned goods were housed on the left ordered in categories from fruit to vegetables, subdivided alphabetically.  Dried goods belonged in the rear and home canned foods filled the right. 

Placing new items in the pantry was a ritual for my grandmother.  She would set her bags or boxes of goods on her kitchen stool outside the pantry and begin the ritual of rotation moving the older items to the left of the shelf and newer items to the right.  She would spend an hour sliding and placing each week when she brought home groceries.  At the end of canning season there was always a major overhaul.  The left shelf of the pantry would be emptied to the dining room table and then the new items given precedence over the space. 

Once the new items were placed in proper order the older ones were given any remaining space.  Anything that would not fit was sent home with me or given to neighbors and friends in need. 
I was allowed free reign of the pantry when I visited my grandparents as long as I did not disturb the orderly placement of things.  I would often sit on the stool in the pantry eyeing the full shelves of canned vegetables and preserves.  Possessing a severe dislike of most vegetables, I could never understand why freezer or pantry space was given to the likes of Brussels-sprouts, Lima beans, and okra.  I understood the need to put by the beauty that is sweet corn, cucumber pickles, Vidalia onions, black-eyed peas, green tomatoes[1], pickled watermelon rind[2], and pickled beets as they were revitalizing tastes of summer that could be served up mid-winter to restore the heart yearning for the far off thaw of spring.

Concoctions such as her corn relish, chow-chow, and piccalilli[3] lay in store for holidays and Sunday dinners.  For the unfamiliar these are preserves made from vegetables that serve to highlight meats and salads.  My Grandfather would blend the sweet corn relish and fiery chow-chow so that the sweetness and heat balanced each other perfectly.  We often passed a Friday night watching Live Atlanta Wrestling, Tarzan, and eating fried catfish laden with chow-relish.     

Most important on the shelves were my grandmother’s stores of pickled peaches, prepared cobbler fruits, and pear preserves.  These homemade delights fascinated me for hours on end.  Memories of meals past and dreams of meals to come revolved around that pantry wall full of lovingly prepared southern finery. 

I know that many of you will not understand the true value of pickled peaches until you have tasted them.  Properly put by they represent the perfect balance between tart and sweet, appetizer and desert, delicacy and provincial fare.  Even in the canning jar they look supremely elegant.  Their rich yellow color beckons you to open the jar.  Pickling spices swirl around the peaches infusing their various flavors into the rich tender peach flesh.

In addition to peaches my grandmother put by blackberries, strawberries, pears, and apples.  These sweet fruit preserves served as ice-cream toppings, cobbler and pie filling, and toast spread.  Often on Sunday afternoons I would help my grandmother pack a basket with canned vegetables and preserves to take to a family in need or someone who was sick or shut in.  I could always gauge my grandmother’s level of regard for the person by what she packed.  She never sent things that were useless or unwelcome but some things were only sent to those she held in highest regard or for whom she felt the most compassion.  The way to tell if she really cared for someone was if she put in a jar of her prized pear preserves.

I have never been a fan of pears.  They are acceptable as a common fare, but to me they are a humble mealy fruit.  On occasion I have enjoyed them prepared in some exotic form but given the choice I will choose most other fruits over them and they disappear in my mind when on a shelf next to strawberries or the ever alluring Georgia peach.   The only exception was my grandmother’s pear preserves.  Quart jars of dark brown pears rich in sweetness and thick in syrup lined her pantry shelves in a place of honor.  If my grandmother sent you her pear preserves she held you in high regard. 
Just a few weeks ago, I sat in a Chick-fil-A in Smyrna having breakfast with my sons. [4]   I had not thought of my grandmother’s pear preserves in easily a decade.  As my sons and I dined on our exquisite breakfast I watched an elderly gentleman move from the counter to his seat.  In his hand he carried a tray with two biscuits and a cup of coffee.  Tucked under his arm were a newspaper and a brown paper bag. 
The man sat near the window, spread the paper out on the table, and withdrew from the bag a quart jar of pear preserves.  Reverently he opened the lid to the jar and carefully spooned the preserves onto the hot biscuits.  Just as reverently he replaced the lid, bowed his head for a moment in prayer, and ceremonially held half a biscuit up to the jar before taking a bite from it. 

My mind raced back to weekend breakfasts with my grandparents.  I could smell the richness of my grandmother’s biscuits and taste the sweetness of home churned butter and over sugared pear preserves.  The syrupy juice of the preserves flowed from the jar over the biscuits luring the mouth and flooding in with anticipatory water.  

Long gone is that era when fast food was not even a term.  No one went through a drive-through.  You pretty much only got fries with burgers and hot dogs.  Milk shakes were made with milk, ice cream, and fruit or chocolate.  People were polite and did not swear in public.  Shrill cell phones never interrupted important conversations.  Those days left some time ago, but the man at the other table reminded me.
 I could see my Grandfather tipping his coffee cup so that the coffee flowed into the saucer allowing him to observe that waning tradition of drinking his morning beverage “saucered and blowed.” 

I wondered to whom the old man paid homage as he prayed over and honored the jar of preservers.  Perhaps they were a gift from someone who prized his friendship.  Maybe they were lovingly put by in his home and they are all that remained of a spouse now gone on to glory.  All that is certain is that my sons saw me light up.  They asked me why and I told them of my grandmother and the richness of her pear preserves.  They are young men I love and respect but for a brief beautiful fleeting moment they were boys with me crowding onto the stool in my grandmother’s pantry.




[1] Yes I said green tomatoes.  My grandmother possessed an ability to put by these rare delicacies in a way that allowed them to retain their firmness and flavor.  Often during my stays in winter she would surprise me with a plate of fried green tomatoes as succulent and tart as if it were high summer and the tomatoes had just been pilfered from my Grandfather’s garden.  How she did this is lost to antiquity and I will send a free copy of my next book to the first person who can tell me how she did it.  Recently these trademarks of southern cuisine regained popularity through a movie by the same title.  Please note that all fried green tomatoes are not created equal.  They must be fresh, firm, and fried.  They must be tart and breaded.  They may not be seasoned, sautéed, baked, or battered.   If someone tries to give you fake fried green tomatoes expose them for the carpetbagger they are and show them the road.

[2] Yes, I said pickled watermelon rind.  My grandmother introduced this true southern delicacy to me in order to teach me to waste nothing.  A little sugar, cinnamon, and vinegar turn unwanted green rind into cold sweet refinement.  Properly chilled one can stretch summer into the bleakest day of January.  John Tobias has rendered a poem on the subject which I will supply in the appendices along with my grandmother’s recipe.    

[3] Corn Relish, Chow-Chow, and Piccalilli are all amazing combinations of vegetable and spice that enhance any meal by brightening both plate and palate.  The recipes are in the in appendix.

[4] If you have never had a Chick-fil-A sandwich you are truly mistreated by life.  The sandwich is a perfect balance of breaded moist chicken breast, butter, and a pickle on a soft bun.  The soul of all that is southern cuisine is captured in this simple and delicious delight.  Mr. Truet Cathy, founder and owner of this restaurant chain is an amazing man.  He is good to his employees, insists on hard work, and does not allow his stores to be open on Sundays.  Guess what.  This works.  

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment