20 April 2014

Heaven is for Real – Movie Review – Spoilers

Greetings Dear Reader,

So a part of my Resurrection Sunday was spent watching the film “Heaven is for Real”.  This is my third Christian based films in as many weeks and this one was my favorite.  It recounts the story of a family who’s four year old boy has a near death experience and a visit to heaven.

I cannot say that I agree with some of the over-simplification that permeated the script.  It did not ruin the story but it did leave room to question the veracity of the story telling.  I realize that some amalgamation is necessary to tell a tale.  I think that the best part of the movie for me was that it showed a pastor and his wife as real people facing genuine problems.

They were a couple who had challenges, struggles, and doubts.  The thing they did that was extraordinary was that they worked together to solve the problems.  It should not be uncommon in Christian households but it is.

The child was quite believable in his role.  Having lost a sister and a daughter I wanted to hear his story and believe his message.  I do believe like the movie says over and over again that “everything will be alright.”  I also want all the answer now.  I realize that the latter is not the way God wants to unfold things.  Most of the time I am OK with that.

As I celebrate the resurrection of Christ I am drawn to a story that allows me to believe a four year old over having to have faith in the risen Christ alone.  For me that is not a good thing.  I do not seek signs but here I am embracing what seems to be one.  I will step back and embrace Christ instead.

If Christ is not risen then my faith is in vain.  If faith in him is not enough then no other stories will be enough either.  The movie was still good and I am happy for the community it blessed.  If others find faith through this then that is good as well. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."


No comments:

Post a Comment